bending since 1840 Pipe Bending And Straightening Since 1840
Pipe Bending And Straightening in Scotland Since 1840
cold ending Working To Your Exact Specifications
Working To Your Exact Specifications
specialist bending old Bending Specialists
Cold Bending Specialists in Scotland
aluminum extrusion Aluminium Extrusion
Aluminium Extrusion Specialists
section bending scotland

The Beginning

John Morrison and Sons Ltd. was established in 1840 by the said John Morrison and his sons John, Thomas and Matthew. The company manufactured as Coppersmiths, Brass Founders, Plumbers, Sheet Metalworkers and Engineers in Dyers Wynd, Paisley. The company manufactured components for the Sugar Industry, the Cotton Weavers, the Thread Mills, the distillers and the Shipyards.

Purpose built premises were constructed at 5 Murray Street in order to expand the business and allow the production of large vessels such as pot stills and colandries. Thomas chose to seek his fortune abroad and eventually settled in London. Matthew, an enthusiastic photographer, was a leader in his field in his day; some 300 photographic plates are stored in The Mitchell Library in Glasgow. In 1950 the male side of the family died out and the company was purchased by the Turnbull family of Bridge of Weir.

When Macdonald Joined the Team

In 1964 the works manager decided to seek his fortune in Canada and left the company. The Turnbull family who were not directly involved in engineering invited John M. Macdonald, Managing Director of Robert Macdonald and Co. Ltd based in Renfrew, who manufactured in the same field, to take over their Company and so Morrison & Macdonald Paisley Ltd was formed. Ranfurly Engineering shared the premises in Murray Street and they were resited to the Renfrew works in a redevelopment unit. This allowed the redevelopment of the Murray Street premises where the company remained until it purchased a larger unit at the far end of Murray Street which had been built by A & F Craig & Co Ltd.

John Macdonald's grandfather also John served an apprenticeship as a coppersmith in 1871 before accepting the post as Head Foreman in a large ship repair yard in Birkenhead in 1884. His son Robert served an apprenticeship under his father in 1900 and after volunteering for the Army in 1914 and serving for a short period, was sent to Fairfield's Shipyard where there were dire needs for his experience. In 1917 with the war drawing to an end, there were large redundancies and Robert Macdonald & Co was established in Renfrew.

The company quickly became accepted as a quality establishment which enabled it to survive the depression. In 1947 his son John joined the company and like his father before him served an apprenticeship under his father. John had been educated at Allan Glens School, a leading establishment in science and engineering, taking the prize in technical subjects in his final year. The book he received by chance had been compiled by Ernest Atkins of Liverpool Technical College, Practical Plate and Sheet Metalwork, the bulk of which had been obtained from his grandfather. In 1950 on the death of his father Robert, John became Managing Director of the company.

Present Time

John has two sons Robert Alasdair and Iain Duncan. Alasdair a Chartered Accountant is the present Managing Director and Iain the Production Director. Iain is the third generation to serve an apprenticeship with his father. The company continues to supply the needs of engineering, working to the highest standards for the M.O.D., Nuclear, Oil, Distillery's, Power Stations, Pneumatic Conveying, Roller Coasters, Shipbuilding, Food processing and Chemical Industries.

The companies listed as having ceased trading have been absorbed by and form part of the existing company Morrison and Macdonald (Holdings) Ltd. Due to the collapse of manufacturing in Shipbuilding and Engineering on the Clyde, up to ninety percent of our former customers were forced out of business. This necessitated the need to find new markets and adapt these skills available to new markets thereby continuing the history of a very old established company.